Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hope is a Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera

Hi.  My name is Michelle, I am 33, and I still read Juvenile Fiction.

Ha.

I don't discriminate.  I will read pretty much anything that contains words. I'd also like to say that the children's sections of libraries and book stores are so much for fun--comfy little chairs or bean bags to sit in, floors to sprawl out on, and sometimes there are even toys to play with :).

When it comes to picking out and reading books from this genre I am not picky. All I ask for is a protagonist that is relateable, a story that moves along, and an interesting point of view.  Pretty simple.

Hope Is A Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera came as a recommeneded book by another blogger in this article and when I happened to see it on the new book shelf in the children's section of the library, I grabbed it.  (I hang out in that section pretty exclusively, not only do I have three children, but I have read everything that I care to in the adult section--it's a small library.)



Herrera's protaganist Star Mackie is a ten year old girl having a terrible time fitting into a new school.  In an effort to make friends, Star forms a Trailer Park Club thinking that people would have an easier time accepting her if she could dispell some of the stereotypes that go along with living in one.   Star's club quickly evolves though, into something even greater and this small group of ecletic kids set out to define the meaning of hope, a task that would give even an adult trouble.

Now technically, the overall themes, literary devices, and plot are a tad predictable, but I am an adult reading a book whose targeted audience is much younger. However, what made this book worthwhile for me to read though, is the refreshing and very honest perspective of ten year old Star.  I laughed out loud at some of the things she said and that felt great.

Happy reading!

Michelle






No comments:

Post a Comment